We're serving up a taste of TWR: holiday favorites from our tables to yours for all to enjoy! As we walk through our Advent of Glory series this season and celebrate the birth of our glorious Savior, we hope these recipes would bring you and yours together for a special time of feasting and togetherness.
Having served throughout and travelled the world, long-time TWR missionaries Harry and Eileen recently hosted an African-themed meal as part of a missions evening for their church — and this dish was a favorite! These Moroccan Roasted Vegetables from The Greedy Belly are colorful, healthy and have just the right amount of spice to give them a wonderful flavor. A simple sheet pan meal, it's Eileen's answer to a quick, perfectly beautiful and tasty holiday meal. Give them a try and let us know what you think!
- Pick 5 - 6 vegetables of your choice and availability. Those listed below are a great guide, but feel free to substitute and have some fun with your flavors!
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1/2 red onion, cut into cubes
- 2 carrots, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 zucchinis, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 - 3 slices of lemon
- 6 - 7 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. coriander/cilantro powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp. crushed black pepper
- 1 - 2 tbsp. harissa (this adds heat/spice and is optional)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF, line a baking sheet with parchment paper (easy clean-up!)
- Mix the olive oil and all the spices (paprika, cumin powder, cilantro powder, crushed black pepper, cinnamon powder, harissa) in a large mixing bowl, then add all of your vegetables and toss in the oil. Alternatively, you could spread the vegetables on your baking tray, drizzle the oil throughout and mix thoroughly — your choice!
- Once your vegetables are well coated, transfer them to the baking tray and spread evently in a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove and toss. Bake for an additional 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Remove from the oven, plate and enjoy! You can also enjoy with tzatziki or plain greek yogurt. And as a special pro tip: this can be served with a roasted chicken. Just cut into pieces, then toss in the same oil/spice mixture and reheat for delicious roast chicken with a North African twist!