We're serving up a taste of TWR: holiday favorites from our tables to yours for all to enjoy! As we walk through our Advent of Glory series this season and celebrate the birth of our glorious Savior, we hope these recipes would bring you and yours together for a special time of feasting and togetherness.
One of our newest Marketing and Communications team members, Malise, shared a family favorite with us: Dark Chocolate Peppermint Brownies! An award-winning food blogger, she loves encouraging others to enjoy food and fellowship with those they love by sharing her own favorites. Her best cooking advice: “Don’t over think it, have fun and enjoy!” She hopes you will try this simple delicacy this Christmas — you can even practice now and perfect it for Valentine's Day! Here's what you'll need:
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs – room temperature
- ¼ cup Hershey’s dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cup pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Butter a 9 in x 13 in glass baking dish, or line the glass dish with parchment paper.
- Hand mix all of your ingredients together and pour the batter into your baking dish.
- After baking for 25 minutes, shake the baking dish to set the brownies, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter salted, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 drops of red food dye (if desired)
- Peppermint sandwich cookies (appx. 8)
- Mix together powedered sugar, butter, vanilla extract and (optional) food dye for the icing.
- Then, crush your desired amount of peppermint cookies and fold the pieces into the icing. Malise recommends Joe-Joe’s Candy Cane Chocolate cookies from Trader Joe’s. Alternatively, you could substitute with peppermint candies!
- Once the icing is complete, spread evenly over the cooled brownies and enjoy!
And if you really want to give your brownies a little extra flavor, consider topping with a few extra crushed peppermints/peppermint cookies, or even drizzling over some melted dark chocolate chips — delicious!